April 11 – Governor signs AB 847 (Mullin) – Funding for Certified Community Behavioral Health Centers
- 30% increase in federal matching funds for outpatient behavioral health
- Improved and streamlined way to receive federal funds
- Counties must elect to participate and be certified by state
- State must be selected as a participating state; odds are good that this will happen
- Lots of work between now and October 31 Deadline for submittal of the state plan
AB 847 appropriates $1 million to enable DHCS to develop a California proposal to participate in the federal Certified Community Behavioral Health Centers (CCBHC) program.
California is one of 24 states receiving a planning grant in October 2015 to develop a proposal to submit in October of 2016. Under current federal law, eight states will be selected to begin a two year demonstration program. These programs will show that increased federal investment in outpatient behavioral health will pay for itself in reduced physical health and behavioral health inpatient and other costs.